Now that 2016 is wrapping up, I thought I’d put together a blog post for engagement session locations. Engagement sessions normally beginning as soon as the holidays are over. I often get asked, what locations do you recommend? My response is normally the following, I give my clients few questions to think of.
1. Where do you often go together or like to do?
2. Would you like an urban location or rural? How would you like your backgrounds to look or what would you like to be surrounded by? Nature or city streets?
3. Would you like a more casual look or dress-up? Or some couples will chose both. They will wear a more casual look for the first 30 minutes and change into something more formal, for the last 30 minutes. This can give a different variety to your gallery & an overall different feel. See my Pinterest Board ideas, https://www.pinterest.com/lisapro10/what-to-wear-to-an-engagement-shoot/
4. Would you like to incorporate props? For example, blankets, mugs, musical instruments, meaningful gifts, a gift exchange, nice glasses for a toast, picnic basket….
5. Will any “Fur Babies” be joining you? Lets be honest, before my children arrived my Boxer Dog Dave was like my child. It’s nice to bring along your pets to incorporate in some of the photos. I suggest bringing along a friend or family member, to take care of your pet while you’re completing your shoot.
Below, you will see some great location ideas, links & examples 🙂 Hope this helps, while making your decision.
Experimental Farm: http://friendsofthefarm.ca
Watson Mill in Manotick: http://watsonsmill.com
Great Parks Fill Our City, just to list a few: Andrew Haydon, Walter Baker Park, Major Hill Park, Strathcona Park, Central Park in the Glebe, Patterson Creek Park, Chamberlain Park….
Beach & Marinas Locations: Mooney’s Bay, Petrie Island, Britannia Park, Baxter Conservation Area, Dow’s Lake Pavilion, Manotick Marina
Mer Bleue Bog, is a gorgeous location for man made walkways, tall trees, bird feeding and stunning back-drops all year round.
Watson Mill in Manotick, stunning stone building, a beautiful bridge, water way, trails, trees and town.
Arboretum: Water front locations, steel bridge, paths, several types of trees, lots of quiet spots and a great place for a picnic or to bring your dog.
Stunning area, just across the bridge at Island Park, in Gatineau.
Black Rapids LockStation, Prince Of Wales Drive: Water Front, Locks, steel bridge, forest area, cute farm house & old dock.
Byward Market: http://www.byward-market.com
Parliament Hill/Wellington Street: http://www.parl.gc.ca
Sparks Street: http://sparkslive.com
China Town: SommerSet Street, Lots of great walls to use as backdrop, graffiti, city streets, apartment building entrances, cool doors…..
Another great park in Gatineau, across the bridge, at The Ottawa War Museum.
Ottawa Byward Market & Major Hill Park: The list of spots is endless, so many cool locations in the market area & Major Hill Park is beautiful all year around.
Locations Which Offer Both:
The Byward Market & Major Hill Park
Small Towns: Almonte http://almonte.com Merrickville: http://www.realmerrickville.ca Manotick: http://manotickvillage.com
Any of the parks near the Glebe, Landsdowne, Canal, Dowslake….
Another perfect park in Ottawa, at the corner of Powell and Bank Street, Chamberlin Park. From here, you can walk along Bank & get a variety of the city/parks, in your shoot.
A walk along the canal, Pretoria Bridge and the bridge of locks “SommerSet Bridge”
Westboro: Trendy area, graffiti walls, city streets, coffee shops, fun doors, brick walls, cute benches…..
Engagement Shoots with Fur Babies….